If there was one thing I could tell my younger self and actually take on board it would be that the only person that can ever truly hold you back from being successful is yourself. I wish I understood in my teens and 20’s the true power of understanding this because, whilst I don’t regret the things I have done in my life (they have after-all brought me to exactly this place in time) I do however, regret the chances I never took, the faith I didn’t have in myself and times when fear of failure and fear of success were equal in measure and simply froze me in place.
No matter what your goals are or what your dreams and ambitions add up to, you have to get out of your own way to get them. I don’t always get it right but there are a few tips that help me when I am starting to waver. When my mindset gets a little dark or I start to lose faith in the goal or myself then I take these steps to realign my mindset with forward momentum!
- Get clear on what your goal is – we will talk about this in depth in a later post but the truth is you need to have a deep and resounding clarity on your goal in order to be able to aim for it.Write it down and keep that in a prominent place where you will see it everyday.
- Take A step. It sounds really simple but take 1 single step towards that goal. If you’re looking to retrain ask for a prospectus from your local college etc. If you want to improve your health and fitness – reach out, to a gym/a coach/an active friend.
- Do the thing that makes you the most uncomfortable first. I’m not saying quit your day job when all you have in the bank is debt and the cupboards house a manky old packet of peanuts and a wrinkly apple. I’m saying do a Facebook post that offers your craft projects to sell (even though you’re worried about embarrassing yourself in front of your family and friends) speak to your boss about how to progress, show interest in a promotion.
- Take care of yourself. If your best friend was running themselves into the ground you’d encourage them to practice a little self care wouldn’t you. You’d say they are in danger of making themselves ill and pushing themselves to far away from the goal – You’d remind them that, after all they can’t pour from an empty cup can they! so why are you worth any less? quick answer is your not. WORK HARD but look after yourself, eat healthy fantastic foods, soak in the bath, get a massage, do that workout and get decent sleep. You will feel better for it and you will stay in healthier condition both mentally and physically in order to succeed in this life you are working so hard for.
- Don’t be afraid to have a bad day. Positive mental attitudes are great but you need to allow yourself to experience all the feels and then get back up. Inevitably we get things wrong from time to time. You need to accept that but keep on trying anyway (I’m sure there’s quote in there along the lines of “I haven’t failed I have just found 100 ways that didn’t work) so embrace the fail and then do it anyway.
- BONUS TIP
- Breath. Before each one of these actions, try to regulate your breathing, breath in deeply and then breath out slowly several times and then just go for it! Think of it like labour or proposing to the missus/mr
- BONUS TIP
Let me know if you have any tips of your own or if any my old faithfuls help you in anyway.
In the meantime, thank you for reading.